There are two main types of hair transplant methods: follicular unit transplantation (FUT) and follicular unit extraction (FUE).
Follicular unit transplantation (FUT)
FUT is a more invasive procedure that involves removing a strip of scalp from the donor area. The strip is then divided into individual follicular units, which are transplanted into the recipient area.
Follicular unit extraction (FUE)
FUE is a less invasive procedure that involves extracting individual follicular units from the donor area using a small punch tool. The follicular units are then transplanted into the recipient area.
Other hair transplant methods
In addition to FUT and FUE, there are a few other hair transplant methods that are less common. These methods include:
- Micrografting: This method involves transplanting individual hairs into the recipient area.
- Strip grafting: This method involves transplanting a strip of scalp from the donor area, which is then divided into smaller grafts.
- Percutaneous hair transplant: This method involves using a needle to create small holes in the recipient area, through which the follicular units are transplanted.
Which hair transplant method is right for you?
The best hair transplant method for you will depend on a number of factors, including:
- The amount of hair loss: If you have a large area of hair loss, FUT may be a better option than FUE.
- The location of the hair loss: FUT is a better option for hair loss on the top of the head, while FUE is a better option for hair loss on the sides or back of the head.
- Your budget: FUT is typically more expensive than FUE.
How to choose a hair transplant surgeon
When choosing a hair transplant surgeon, it is important to do your research and compare prices. You should also ask about the surgeon’s experience and qualifications.
Here are a few things to look for when choosing a hair transplant surgeon:
- Board certification: The surgeon should be board certified by a reputable organization, such as the American Board of Hair Restoration Surgery.
- Experience: The surgeon should have extensive experience performing hair transplants.
- Results: Ask to see before-and-after photos of the surgeon’s work.
There are a number of hair transplant methods available, each with its own advantages and disadvantages. The best way to choose the right method for you is to talk to a qualified hair transplant surgeon.